There are many ways to address a dark kitchen and knowing what to do depends on a host of factors. Here are a few questions I ask in a consultation to determine which solution might be right for a customer:
- How long do you plan to stay in your home?
- What is the age of your home?
- What is the value of your home?
- How much are you willing to invest in this project?
- How much dust and inconvenience are you willing to tolerate during this project?
- Are there work flow issues in your kitchen you would like to improve?
- Do you have adequate storage?
- Do you have adequate work space?
- Do you love everything about your kitchen, except the color?
You see, with so many things that can be adjusted, there is not one way to improve things. I look at paint, lighting, cabinetry, countertop material, floorplan and appliances before deciding. Carefully weighing my customer’s responses, here are 3 possible solutions from most expensive to least: